Anodyne
Friday, May 21, 2004
 
Detailed survey on the state of North American used bookselling. The creators of this report are 14 karat deadbeats, but the report itself is useful. Last year, the Siegels sent me complementary email, asking me to complete a fairly lengthy on-line description of the shop, and promising that the results would be made available on the bookhunterpress.com web site. Bait and switch! Come to check the results, and you learn that:

1. You have to pay for online access;

2. The site access fee is best described as, "Stick 'em up";

3. The printed guides the Siegels sell, which largely consist of the free, unthinking labor of others, are also hugely expensive.

Unsurprisingly, the Siegels want money for their survey results. I wouldn't pay the $25 they're asking in a million years -- given their track record of spinning money out of the straw of other dealers' honesty and helpfulness, I wouldn't hand them a quarter if I passed them on the street -- but I have no problem recommending their free survey summary.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }