Anodyne
Thursday, October 21, 2004
 
Coming Attractions

I've been making pictures for a while, first with a manual focus camera and then, when my (never substantial) patience ran out, with a tiny 35mm autofocus I bought for $50 at a Wal-Mart in Butte, Montana. The camera used to just go on book scouting and mountaineering trips, but, lately, I've found myself returning to places I had initially wandered through, with the idea of trying to recreate feelings or sensations I had when I was first there. I think this impulse might be art, or something close to it, in that it seems planned, more made than taken. Often this process involves thinking about landscape, something I seem to have been doing for as long as I can remember.

Anyone who has ever seen Clement Greenberg's paintings will have at least one good argument for why critics shouldn't make art of their own. Still...

Editions of 5, mostly smallish c-type prints, 8 x 10" or 11" x 14". First of each edition's free, just r.s.v.p to pulpbook@telus.net. First come, first served. All the others are $50CDN each including mailing.

(I think this might be an experiment with "alternative distribution systems." Back when I was running Anodyne, I was always amazed at the number of people who expressed interest in buying the art on display but wouldn't for one of two reasons: either they genuinely couldn't afford it, or they wanted the reputation of a "real" (e.g., for-profit) gallery to certify it. I was also amazed by how many of Jason McLean's friends seemed to own his work, and how his freely given or budget-priced objects were always proudly displayed by their owners, instead of being squirreled away in storage or in some dealer's back room. And I have always admired Lawrence Weiner's designating certain of his works as "public freehold.")



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }