Anodyne
Monday, March 21, 2005
 
Waste My Time, Please

"D'you got any books by Sue Grafton?" (Mediocre and constantly overstocked writer of formulaic paperback mysteries, A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, & etc.)

Yes, millions.

"Where are they?"

Over here.

"D'you got G?"

Yep, right here.

"Man, I couldn't hardly see that!" (shelved between F and H, right where it belongs) "How much is it?"

Price is right there on the front cover...$3.95 and tax.

"I can't afford THAT! How's 25 cents?"

How's not?

"Okay, okay..." (Wanders outside. Digs through the bargain table. Brightens. Drags in a coverless, water-damaged copy of Grafton's G is for Gumshoe). "You were charging 4 bucks for this inside! But this one's two bits! What's up with that? You're a rip-off!"

(Lengthy response viz. condition, availability, etc., concluding with the silk-purse-from-a-sow's-ear line, So, can I ring that up for you?)

"Oh, I can't buy this."

Why's that?

(Beat) "I've already read it."



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }