Anodyne
Sunday, May 08, 2005
 
Burnaby reader Reiko Tagami emerges from the woodwork:

"Up until now I've refrained from emailing, but your mention of The Three Investigators rocked my world. I too read them in elementary school -- we had some in our school library here in Burnaby, and then some family friends gave me a beginning collection for Christmas one year.

I wanted to BE Jupiter Jones or Pete Crenshaw, or the third guy (Tom? I forget his name) with glasses. There were many times I regretted the fact that my parents did not own a junkyard in which my friends and I could construct a secret lair with five secret entrances.

Among other things, The Three Investigators taught me about rhyming slang, and Waltzing Matilda -- the first time I'd ever seen the lyrics in print.

I wanted so much to be The Three Investigators, that in Grade 2 I convinced my two best friends -- neither of whom read the books -- to form a private investigation firm with me. We called ourselves 'The Private Eyes' -- how creative was that? -- and the graphics teacher at the high school where my dad taught printed us up a bunch of business cards with our company name and a big eye in the middle.

We even had one case. The enrichment teacher at our school hired us to solve 'The Case of the Missing Soldering Iron.' He drew us a bad sketch of a soldering iron and tried to explain what it was used for. We never found it. But I remembered it fondly whenever we did electronics in Grade 8 IE."



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }