Anodyne
Saturday, May 07, 2005
 
If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now

PHONE: Ring, ring.

CJB: Pulpfiction Books.

LONG DISTANCE CALLER: I'm calling about a book on your website.

CJB: Yes, which one is that?

LDC: [Monograph] by [artist name]. How much is it to ship to New York City, overnight?

CJB: Probably a lot. Let me find the book, weigh it, and call you back. What's your phone number?

LDC: 212-555-1234. But I need to know right now!

CJB: We have 3000-odd books online. I don't know where this one is, nor how much it weighs. Let me find it and call you back.

LDC: That's not good enough!

CJB (patience evaporating): Look, if you're desperate enough to be ordering this from me and not some sharpie New York dealer, a ten-minute wait isn't going to kill you.

LDC: With an attitude like that, you should be selling books here!

CJB: I wish I was, believe me.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }