Anodyne
Thursday, June 30, 2005
 
RIP William Hoffer, the most professional antiquarian bookseller Vancouver has ever known. Found this quote today in one of his catalogs, kindly provided gratis by our regular customer Wes Hartley:

"This morning a bookscout called the shop to ask whether I had read the Globe and Mail. I don't read the Globe and Mail, I told him, it reminds me of Toronto. On page nine there is a story about the cutting of Oberon's block grant, in which the usual greased pigs of CanLit/CanCult are quoted in the usual ways. I don't collect this stuff, I told him, I'm not interested in what happens to them blow by blow. I just want them to fuck off and die. It is a simple enough desire, however hard to explain it sometimes is."

I'm frequently accused by unhappy pseudo-customers of "having a bad attitude." Anyone is welcome to compare the late Mr. Hoffer's legendary crankiness and bad attitude to my own and draw their own conclusions.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }