Anodyne
Friday, September 30, 2005
 
Change of the light, and a corresponding slump in my mood. A review for Doppelganger magazine composed overnight. Everything good about the Evan Lee text completely absent, every cliche of bad, unimaginative, diagrammatic art criticism imaginable right back up on the surface of the text where it sits, grinning at me like the wind-up monkey in that Stephen King story.

I find myself thinking, you looked at the work yesterday, looked carefully, in fact; sat in darkness for fifteen or twenty minutes and focused, really focused, in order to see what was actually there and not just what you thought was there, or what you hoped would be there. Yet the criticism you created from this experience is flat, overwritten, a collection of loose ideas largely borrowed, quoted or otherwise derived from other people's (better) writing.

I find myself thinking, what the fuck happened?


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }