Anodyne
Thursday, March 30, 2006
 

Jeff Wall, Still Creek, Vancouver, Winter 2003, 2003

Back from Vancouver Island, I put a borrowed pair of black hipwaders in my backpack and my hiking boots on my feet and went exploring in East Vancouver. A new plan for 2006: every time I'm depressed, I'm going to go and do something I haven't done before.

Up Renfrew Street, where the season's last magnolia announced itself.

Green leaves on all the salmonberries in the Renfrew Ravine, and the season's first skunk cabbages in the marshy ground along the creek.

The smell of alder bark, a thin mulch of ragged leaves covering the wet clay bank like the cheap blanket I drew up around my shoulders in the Terminal Avenue motel.

English ivy, deep green, on the stones.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }