Anodyne
Sunday, October 08, 2006
 

2014

Not a typo. For the longest time I've been trying to work out the repercussions of First Contact being made not with political leadership, nor with the military-industrial complex, but with a visual artist. Then, the other night, riding Skytrain, I glanced out over Metrotown's lights and had an exceptionally vivid memory of Spielberg's little grey guys leading Richard Dreyfuss up onto the mother ship. How, I wondered, would things change if that was Rodney Graham, and not a telephone lineman, getting on board? Uncommon Carriers, John McPhee's new collection of New Yorker essays, provided a point of departure. I still can't write short stories to save my life, but apparently have no such problem transcribing art criticism from the future.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }