Anodyne
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
 

Jonathon Keats' First Intergalactic Art Exhibition

"The discovery of artwork from beyond the solar system did not come as a surprise to Keats, who has frequently collaborated with scientists across multiple disciplines. 'It's a familiar story,' he says. 'Researchers expect intelligent life elsewhere in the universe to behave just like them. Since scientists are mathematical, they expect extraterrestrials to broadcast the digits of pi or the Pythagorean theorem.'

Keats began seriously to question the wisdom of these assumptions while conducting independent research early last year. 'If I were an extraterrestrial trying to communicate with beings elsewhere in the universe, I certainly wouldn't transmit something they already knew,' he argues. 'I'd try to express something about myself, as profound as possible, in the most universal language I could imagine: I'd send art.'"


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }