Anodyne
Monday, November 13, 2006
 

Packing Internet orders late into the night, Tennant & Lowe keeping time. A cold front moving through, a brief respite from rain. Wind, too, enough to make me turn up my collar and join the big brass buttons that fasten the collar's canvas ends together. Clubtread.com pictures: digging out a car in Coquihalla Pass; snowshoeing up Seymour; carrying a pair of ancient skis up the McKay Creek trail through dark trees; through vertical sleet; through snowflakes floating down like splotches of paint on a Sigmar Polke photograph. Winter's here!

Neil Tennant sings:

And clumsy as I felt

At stumbling on this theft

To save further embarrassment

I made my excuses and left

and I pull another packslip from the printer, pop it in the front of the book, swaddle it in bubble wrap, seal the envelope, attach the postage label, the customs label, complete the customs manifest, and drop -- gently place! -- the parcel alongside its outbound sisters and brothers. Grab the next book, repeat...

(Grouse Mountain snowpack courtesy legendary coastal hardman Ted Oliver)


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }