Anodyne
Thursday, November 29, 2007
 

Jeff Wall, Cold Storage, Vancouver, 2007


Jeff Wall, Tenants, 2007

"Hi Christopher.

Lee Bacchus signing in again. Can I ask where you're finding these latest J. Wall shots? I realize [where] you found Searching, but the Fortified Door and another (not sure I saw it on your blog or another), which depicts a '60s or '70s era townhouse complex that you might find in the cold shadows of the Metrotown towers, are both news to me.

I really like Searching. Talk about disarming! Following the cool elegance of After Spring Snow this cell phone shot sent a shudder though me. Wall seems always to be turning things on their head (formally and conceptually), so here instead of technology delivering stock quotes or text messages the artist and his phone act like a contemporary colporteur, hand-delivering images of the destitute instead of bibles or newspapers. I think Searching works both on this level and on another, which speaks to the 'searching' of those emptied people (like me at times) who find themselves both addicted and dominated by technology and its searching behaviors. There are probably ten more layers to excavate within this modest-looking photo, but this is as far as I got. Sorry for the long winded addendum."

All the Wall images posted to Anodyne have been found lodged in the internets' tubes. Fortified Door, for instance, is available on White Cube's website as a teaser image for an upcoming London show.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }