Anodyne
Thursday, April 15, 2010
 

He's Not Gary

This particular dialogue happened a few weeks back and I've been turning it over in my mind ever since. Probably funnier if you live in Vancouver and know the protagonists.

RODNEY GRAHAM [at PFB counter]: Thanks CJB!

[exits; beat]

YOUNG WHITE HIPSTER: He's pretty light!

CJB: Huh?

YWH: Don't you know who that was?

CJB: Sure.

YWH: Stan Douglas. That guy's all about race, but he's so light he can pass.

CJB: Uh, no, that wasn't--

YWH: Stan Douglas, man. Half black.

CJB: Uh, no.

YWH: Yes. I heard about it down at Emily Carr.

Which brings to mind the old question, "Who is to blame?" Many of my friends would say, "the art school," but I choose to blame the pungent cloud of cannabis sativa surrounding YWH in its warm and loving arms.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }