Anodyne
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
 

Via the NYT: A Doll's Magic, Free to Renew

"The children hugged and said goodbye to the little well-worn pioneer and put her in a box bound for Wisconsin. Ms. Taube told the girls they would celebrate together when the doll returned in several weeks.

Ms. Taube said Kirsten exemplified the library as a community center that offered diverse services and lending materials.

'I tell the kids that the library belongs to them,' she said. 'And I think that any child who could not afford that doll will remember the time they were able to borrow it from the library.'"

This story moved admittedly old hyper-overworked & sentimental me, both for its egalitarian spirit and because of my inkling, midway through reading, that Kirsten's is a job that my pal Rose T. Cat would very much like to apply for, once there are no more Brayshaws or Helpses or Croquets or Bordas around to care for her.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }