Anodyne
Monday, February 10, 2014
 
I'm (Not) Gary

The Llano Del Rio piece is a large framed panoramic color landscape shot with my homebrew Street View rig, accompanied by three smaller tasteful black and white location photographs, a wall-mounted didactic panel, and two pages of framed & typeset script from an unrealized multichannel video projection.  Its juxtaposition of the mechanics of representation with a quintessential failed early modern utopia should be pretty obvious. 

I suppose this work is a reading, or more accurately a deliberately willful misreading, of  William Wood's great essay "Secret Work" (Vancouver Art Gallery, 1999). WW & I have not agreed about much, ever.  But "Secret Work" first hipped me to conceptual art's legacy of creative imposture, for which I was & still am thankful.    


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }