Anodyne
Thursday, July 21, 2016
 
Bruce Davidson:

"Each day I would appear on the block with my 4×5 view camera and a bag containing film holders, accessories, and a powerful strobe. The presence of a large format camera on a tripod, with its bellows and back focusing cloth, gave a sense of dignity to the act of taking pictures. I didn’t want to be the unobserved observer. I wanted to be with my subjects face to face and for them to collaborate in making the picture. I wanted the images to have a depth, tonality, and level of detail that could convey the mood of lives poised in a moment of time. During the two years I photographed East 100th Street, NASA was sending probes into outer space, to the moon and to Mars. Instead, I wanted to see into the inner space of the city and to focus sharply on people here on earth."


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }